CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, February 1, 2010

Demonstration of Faith

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Hebrews 11:1

Off and on for months now, the Lord has been dealing with me about faith. During these times He has shown me how pitiful and pathetic my faith has sometimes been. There have been many times when my faith has been quite strong, but unfortunately there have been too many times that my faith has fallen woefully short. I hate thinking about those times. I am reminded about those times though when I hear of some of the contemporary stories of faith -- particularly in foreign countries where to be a Christian is to hated and even hunted by those who oppose Christ and His cross.

The faith defined in Hebrews 11:1 is the faith that pleases God in Hebrews 11:6. Now, as we look at the Hebrews 11:1 verse, it is helpful to break it down into various important components. In order to do so, we must look at "substance", "hoped" and "evidence." The Greek text is most helpful. First, let's look at "substance." Our Greek word is hupostasis which combines 2 words: "hupo" meaning under and "stasis" meaning to stand. When we put it together, it is a "standing or remaining under." It carries with it the idea of perseverance and endurance in the face of hardship. This Greek word is also used in Hebrews 3:14 to illustrate the point.

But this word "hupostasis" carried with it another important meaning. The Greeks used it in conjunction with having the title deed to a piece of property. There was a woman long ago that archaeologists learned of who had a piece of property that she lost in a court case. The judge wrongfully gave the property to someone else. However, the lady discovered later that she had the title deed to the property. She then took the case to a higher court. In the higher court, she won, because she produced the title deed or "hupostasis." In other words, her victory came by faith, because it was connected to the title deed she had in her possession. The title deed guaranteed that she indeed had ownership to the property!

Our next word is "hoped." The Greek word for "hoped" is much different than our corresponding word in the English language. In the English, "hope" carries the idea of a question mark with it. We hope something may happen, but we don't necessarily have the guarantee that it will happen. Not so in the Greek! "Hope" in the Greek is a guarantee, it is total assurance! There is no question mark attached to it! For instance, Hebrews 6:17-20a illustrates it well:

"Because God wanted to make the unchanging nature of His purpose very clear to the heirs of what was promised, He confirmed it with an oath. God did this so that, by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled to take hold of the hope offered to us may be greatly encouraged. We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure.It enters the inner sanctuary behind the curtain, where, Jesus, who went before us, has entered on our behalf."

Our next word in Hebrews 11:1 is "evidence." The Greek word here is "elegkos." It was a legal term used in the courtroom for the kind of irrefutable evidence that promised to bring a trial to a just conclusion -- like gaining a conviction in a criminal trial. The evidence was so overwhelming that it was referred to as "elegkos." It could not be refuted!

So when we give an expanded translation of Hebrews 11:1, this is what we get:

"Faith is the confident assurance (the kind of confidence that allows one to stand under and endure hardships) of things expected with absolute certainty, the irrefutable proof as evidence of things not seen."

A couple of months ago, one of my sons enlightened me to a contemporary worship song called "The Desert Song." It was written by a young woman at the height of despair after she experienced the death of her son who had been born prematurely. Though she did not "feel" like praising the Lord, she did anyway. Why? Because the scriptures told her to do so. By faith, she did it. And in the song she did what we all should do -- that is, she claimed the title deed by faith and took it to the higher court in heaven through praise!

And you may ask, what is the title deed? The title deed is found in the promises of God!

I have taken the liberty to take this song verse by verse with applicable scriptures beside the lines of the song. You will quickly see how the young woman demonstrated her faith by clinging to God's word.

Desert Song

This is my prayer in the desert when all that's within me feels dry (Psalm 42:1-2)
This is my prayer in my hunger and need (Psalm 42:5-6 & Psalm 107:8-9)
My God is the God Who provides (Genesis 22:14 & Philippians 4:19)

This is my prayer in the fire in weakness or trial or pain (Daniel 3:16-29)
There is a faith proved of more worth than gold (I Peter 1:6-7)
So refine me, Lord, through the flame. (Malachi 3:3-4)

This is my prayer in the battle (II Corinthians 4:8-9)
When triumph is still on its way (Ephesians 6:18 & Nehemiah 6:9)
I am a conqueror and co-heir with Christ (Romans 8:17 & 37)
So firm on His promise I'll stand (Hebrews 11:1 & II Corinthians 1:20)

This is my prayer in the harvest when favor and providence flow (Luke 10:2)
I know I'm filled to be emptied again (II Timothy 4:6)
The seed I've received I will sow (I Peter 1:23-25 & Romans 10:14-15)

Chorus: I will bring praise I will bring praise (Psalm 42:5)
No weapon formed against me shall remain (Isaiah 54:17)
I will rejoice (Philippians 4:4)
I will declare God is my victory and He is here (I Corinthians 15:57; Hebrews 13:5 & Matthew 28:20)

Refrain: All of my life in every season You are still God (Deuteronomy 33:27 & Romans 8:28)
I have a reason to sing. I have a reason to worship (Psalm 13:5-6)

So let us all ask of the Lord: "Help us in our unbelief and teach us to take up our title deed in faith through prayer!" Amen.

0 comments: