CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Christian Hedonism -- What In The World Is That?

“I just want to feel – everything!”, the young man cried out upon his graduation from college. Like a young bird jumping at the opportunity to test its wings when leaving the nest, the young man made his exclamation. It sounds pretty innocent, right? Perhaps.


Whereas the above may sound like an innocent statement, it also can represent the beginnings of a slippery slope to trouble. Why? Because the statement: “I just want to feel -- everything!” has hedonistic overtones – the belief that pleasure and the pursuit of pleasure represents the greatest good. This philosophy is generally accompanied by moral indifference. According to the Bible, this is a characteristic of many people in the last days: "People will be lovers of themselves... lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God." II Timothy 3:2 & 4


Since its goal is pleasure, hedonism must involve the senses of the body. The more the better. It represents the height of “sensuality” and the philosophy expressed in the phrase: “if it feels good then do it!” If one were to travel the hedonistic road long enough, one would likely fall into a ditch of immorality, addiction, gluttony, or one of an assortment of other evils. Pain and disappointment would follow – two things hedonism seeks to avoid.


Solomon, the wisest man on earth, summed up the pursuit of pleasure well when he wrote: “I denied myself nothing my eyes desired; I refused my heart no pleasure” What did he discover along the way? “Everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind.” Ecclesiastes 2:10-11


Biblically, sensuality (hedonism's twin) is viewed as a sin characteristic of those living apart from Christ (Ephesians 4:19). In the New Testament the word often translated "pleasure" is derived from the Greek word hedone - the root word for our word hedonism.

The Bible informs us that hedonism is detrimental in the following ways:

1. It chokes out the fruitfulness of God's word - Luke 8:14

2. It leads to bondage -- Titus 3:3

3. It can be at the root of divisiveness -- James 4:1

4. It can seriously hinder prayer -- James 4:3

At the same time though, the implementation of our senses can be used for God’s glory. Call it “Christian Hedonism” in contrast to the hedonism of the world. Here are some ways we can use our senses for His glory:


SIGHT – “I (Jesus) tell you, OPEN YOUR EYES and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest.” John 4:35


HEARING– “My sheep LISTEN to my voice; I (Jesus) know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand.” John 10:27-28


TASTE – “TASTE and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him.” Psalm 34:8


TOUCH – for she said to herself, “If I only TOUCH His garment, I will be made well.” Matthew 9:21


SMELL – “But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the FRAGRANCE of the knowledge of him.” II Corinthians 2:14


One can only imagine how the Kingdom of God might expand if we, as Christians (or as Christian hedonists one might say), used our senses in the ways depicted in the above verses to the fullest. May we delight in Him and His ways! May that be where we find our pleasure!

As it is written: “You have made known to me the path of life; You will fill me with joy in Your presence, with ETERNAL PLEASURES at your right hand.” Psalm 16:11

0 comments: