CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Mountainous Impact -- Covenant Sustainability

"I will lift my eyes to the mountains; From whence does my help come? My help comes from the LORD, Who made heaven and earth." Psalm 121:1-2

We have reached the final installment of the "mountain" blogs today. So far, we have primarily looked at how the mountains can remind us of our God and some of His various attributes. Today, let us look at God Himself as revealed in these verses. First of all, we see that our help comes from the LORD. Upon close inspection, we can see that the name lord is in all capital letters. This signifies the covenant name of God in the Hebrew called the tetragrammaton or YHWH from which we derive the names Yahweh and Jehovah. This is the revealed name of God as spoken to Moses from the burning bush in Exodus chapter 3 verse 14.

As we ponder the name, YHWH, we are moved to remember that this is the God who inflicted the enemies of Israel, the Egyptians, with 10 different and spectacular plagues as seen in Exodus chapters 7-11. In addition, YHWH delivered the Israelites by splitting the Red Sea and then drowning the entire Egyptian army as the waters of the sea returned to their places in Exodus chapters 13-14. It is in this story that we see Yahweh revealed as the protector, deliverer and guardian of His people. He is the one Who will provide us with His help too.

This same Yahweh is also the same God Who covenanted with His people, the Israelites. Though the Israelites certainly failed to keep the covenant, God is a covenant making and covenant keeping God with Whom there is no possibility of lying or reneging (Hebrews 6:18). Therefore, when we see promises from Him, we know that they are true, and He will keep them because that is His very nature. After all, every promise He has ever made is "yes" and "amen" in Jesus! ( II Corinthians 1:20)

But our verse 2 in Psalm 121 gets critical near the end of the verse, because the LORD is seen as the maker of both heaven and earth. That means that He is the creator! That is important, because if we fail to believe that He is the creator Who by His great power spoke everything in to being, then where else might we fail to believe in Him. As someone once said, if you cannot believe Genesis 1:1, then where will the doubting of Him and His word stop?

But God's act of creating does not stop there, because He is also the great sustainer of His creation. Consider the following:

"For by Him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by Him and for Him. He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together." Colossians 1:16-17

"Cast all your cares on the LORD and He will sustain you; He will never let the righteous fall." Psalm 55:22

"Even to your old age and gray hairs I am He. I am He who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you." Isaiah 46:4

So what does all of this mean in today's blog? It is this. When I look to the mountains to see where my help comes from, I remember that my God is a covenant keeping God who will watch over me. I remember the great displays of His power in creation, His mighty deliverance of the Israelites and the miracles He has performed for His people of which I am one. Praise God He is the same yesterday, today and forever! Hallelujah!

I will close with these wonderful verses:

"A righteous man may have many troubles, but the LORD delivers him from them all." Psalm 34:19

"I was young and now I am old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging bread." Psalm 34:25

Be blessed beloved. God is faithful. Look to the mountains and remember from Whom your help comes!

0 comments: